By Tony Haskell
Conservation is now an enormous a part of planners', surveyors' and designers' paintings load. This assessment of contemporary conservation schemes conducted via the County Councils in England and Wales will supply a distinct and critical reference ebook for pros within the building embarking on 'heritage' paintings. utilizing targeted and highly-illustrated case reports, the publication files over a hundred schemes from commercial archaeology to historical parks.
Read Online or Download Caring for our built heritage: conservation in practice PDF
Similar urban & land use planning books
One of many maximum mathematicians and engineers of his day, Simon Stevin (1548-1620) is maybe top recognized for popularizing decimal fractions. yet few humans learn about his curiosity in structure, as documented in De Huysbou, a undertaking that occupied the final 20 years of Stevin's existence. This new translation comprises passages from Stevin's textual content, an intensive bibliography, and an in-depth research of Stevin's theories of city making plans inside of a bigger ecu context.
First released in 2004. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa corporation.
The remodel of Potsdamer Platz depicts the fight to restore Berlin, Germany. This valuable and hugely seen sq. has gone through a sequence of strategic revisions to revive its energy and in an effort to meet place-enhancing ambitions. particularly, the publication significantly addresses the demanding projects of restoring Potsdamer Platz from a kingdom of disintegration to a situation precious of a world-class urban, even if the questions stay unanswered as to how a long way the targets were accomplished.
The statesman and reformer James Oglethorpe was once an important determine within the philosophical and political panorama of eighteenth-century British the USA. His social contributions―all educated by way of Enlightenment ideals―included legal reform, the founding of the Georgia Colony on behalf of the "worthy poor," and stirring the founders of the abolitionist flow.
- Re-imaging the City: A New Conceptualisation of the Urban Logic of the “Islamic city”
- Cyber Cities: Visual Perception in the Age of Electronic Communication
- Abulecentrism: Rapid Development of Society Catalyzed at the Local Community Level
- The Sustainable City IV: Urban Regeneration And Sustainability
- Urban Design: Health and the Therapeutic Environment
- What Makes a Great City
Extra info for Caring for our built heritage: conservation in practice
The Cheshire County Sites and Monuments Record (SMR) was first computerized in 1974 on the County’s IBM mainframe computer. However, there were several limitations to this system and in 1986 a complete overhaul and enhancement of the old record began with the establishment of the temporary post of Sites and Monuments Computerization Officer. The post was funded by English Heritage for two and a half years as part of a nationwide enhancement programme of county Archaeology 13 SMRs. The new system is personal computer (PC)-based and uses the Superfile program, which is supported by English Heritage.
Over 2000 people came to Open Days with guided tours and displays. More than 2500 children had talks, tours and their first ‘hands on’ experience of living history. The excavation was made accessible to the public on all levels and each child was given a certificate to prove that he or she had visited Sandy’s Roman Past. Thirteen burials have been found so far, together with the layout of part of the Roman town with its roads and buildings, revealing something of its everyday life and industry.
The construction cost around £1000 and local firms made generous donations of materials. g. ), whilst technical items (such as a thermocouple for recording kiln temperatures) have also been purchased. An accompanying exhibition was produced in-house, at comparatively low cost, using desk-top publishing software. 8, ESSEX Butt Road Roman Church, Colchester When Essex County Council announced plans to build a new police station in Colchester in the 1970s, it was already known that the site contained all that remained of one of the cemeteries which lay beyond the walls of the Roman settlement.