By Kirk W Madison, Kai Bongs, Lincoln D Carr, Ana Maria Rey, Hui Zhai
The purpose of this booklet is to provide evaluation articles describing the most recent theoretical and experimental advancements within the box of chilly atoms and molecules. Our desire is this sequence will advertise examine by way of either highlighting contemporary breakthroughs and by means of outlining one of the most promising study instructions within the field.
Readership: examine scientists together with graduate scholars and higher point undergraduate scholars.
Read or Download Annual Review of Cold Atoms and Molecules, volume 2 PDF
Similar atomic & nuclear physics books
Disordered nature of structural association in amorphous and nanocrystalline alloys provides upward thrust to useful smooth magnetic houses specifically from a pragmatic program perspective . particularly nanocrystalline alloys allure loads of scienti? c curiosity simply because, opposite to their amorphous opposite numbers, their magnetic parameters don't considerably go to pot at increased temperatures throughout the strategy of their functional exploitation.
Few-body structures are either technically really basic and bodily non trivial sufficient to check theories quantitatively. for example the He-atom performed traditionally an enormous function in verifying predictions of QED. an identical position is contributed these days to the three-nucleon approach as a checking out flooring some distance nuclear dynamics and perhaps within the close to destiny to few-quark platforms.
Regardless of the usually tough and time-consuming attempt of appearing experiments with speedy (14 MeV) neutrons, those neutrons can provide precise perception into nucleus and different fabrics end result of the absence of cost. 14 MeV Neutrons: Physics and purposes explores speedy neutrons in uncomplicated technological know-how and purposes to difficulties in drugs, the surroundings, and safety.
- Atoms, molecules and photons: An introduction to atomic-, molecular- and quantum-physics
- The Theory of Coherent Atomic Excitation (two-volume set)
- Current Topics in Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics: Invited Lectures Delivered at the Conference on Atomic Molecular and Optical Physics
- Rotational spectroscopy of diatomic molecules
- An introduction to black holes, information and the string theory revolution : the holographic universe
Additional info for Annual Review of Cold Atoms and Molecules, volume 2
07) kHz. The small decay rate of the molecular states, mol = 2 × , has several important implications. Narrow-line PA opens a new regime, also explored in ytterbium,130 in which the transition linewidth is much smaller than the level spacings even for the least-bound molecular levels. Small mol also implies a weak dipole–dipole interaction between 1S0 and 3P1 atoms February 25, 2014 14:50 Annual Review of Cold Atoms and Molecules, Volume 2 9inx6in b1749-ch01 Degenerate Quantum Gases of Strontium 21 during PA.
Optical Stern–Gerlach separation Several alkaline-earth spin-state detection schemes have been demonstrated. The number of atoms in the highest m F state can be determined by selectively cooling90 or levitating72 atoms in this state. 177 Recording the full m F -state distribution with this method is possible, but needs one experimental run per state. 178 The implementation of this technique for alkali atoms is simple. 179 By contrast, atoms with two valence electrons possess only February 25, 2014 14:50 Annual Review of Cold Atoms and Molecules, Volume 2 9inx6in b1749-ch01 Degenerate Quantum Gases of Strontium 41 a weak, nuclear magnetic moment in the electronic ground state, which would require the application of impractically steep magnetic field gradients.
3. Because of the favorable scattering length of +123 a0 ,14,15,132 there is no need of Feshbach tuning. Ironically, this low-abundance isotope turned out to be the prime candidate among all alkaline-earth isotopes to obtain large BECs and might also allow for sympathetic cooling of other isotopes and elements. 71 The laser cooling stages were already described in Sec. 3. To prepare the evaporative cooling stage, the atoms are transferred into a crossed-beam dipole trap, which is derived from a 16-W laser source February 25, 2014 14:50 26 Annual Review of Cold Atoms and Molecules, Volume 2 9inx6in b1749-ch01 S.